One of the keys to launching and running a successful company is your ability to obtain capital at various stages of business development. An attorney can play an important role in the initial phases of this process through the following:
- Assisting in an analysis of the company’s financial needs and prospects
- Determining the type of financing that might be appropriate and when
- Designing the capital structure that best fits your needs
- Preparing business plans and supporting documents
- Identifying available funding sources
- Approaching potential financing sources
The attorney can ensure that you know the benefits and drawbacks of each type of financing and can provide a realistic assessment of your chances of obtaining a given type of financing.
The attorney must also ensure you’re aware of the impact of corporate, securities, tax, and other laws on the various financing alternatives. For example, federal and state securities laws can greatly impact the type and number of investors to approach, what documents to use, and the size of the investment.
It is always advisable to consult an attorney first if you are looking for capital — we are always there to help you with your business needs.
If you have any questions about these issues or other topics, please feel free to give me a call.
You know your business – we know the law.